Sunday, February 27, 2011

It's An Honor To Be Nominated


Today is the 27th of February which means several things. It was my incredible grandmother's birthday - she is eight four years young. I got to spend the day with family which is really special because we really don't get enough time to see each other. And today was the 83rd annual Academy Awards - which by doing the math means it started when my beloved Anyu was a rambunctious one year old.


The Academy Awards are considered extremely prestigious and often it gets one thinking about their own accomplishments in the film industry and where one's career may lead them. After a long day, I return home, turn on my cheery MacBook Pro, and see a new notification for National Horror Examiner's 1st ever 'Fear, Fright & Fret' Horror Awards! Holy shit, cool. I click and start to read ahead --

Best Lead Actress 2010 - Nominees: Ashley C. Williams (The Human Centipede), Jen Soska (Dead Hooker In A Trunk), Sylvia Soska (Dead Hooker In A Trunk), Ashley Bell (The Last Exorcism), Christina Ricci (After.Life), Emma Bell (Frozen)



AMERICAN MARY will have our last scheduled appearance as actors in film, so we can focus on writing and directing. It's something Jen and I have talked a lot about it and it makes sense for us now. But before my inner Black Swan leading lady dances her closing number, it is pretty fucking cool to be nominated with Jen for Best Leading Actress for our performances in DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK. A huge fucking honor. We did not win, but it put a smile on my face and made me feel a swell of pride. I also loved the reasoning --

The Winner is: Emma Bell (Frozen) - This was another very difficult decision for me to make. The Soskas were awesome in Dead Hooker In A Trunk but chosing between the two was an impossible task, and one that I refused to take part in. It was their first film and they both kicked major ass in the film. Sorry ladies, I know this wasn't fair of me, but I just couldn't chose between the two of you. You are both awesome! Emma Bell's plight in Frozen was a very realistic one, and Ms. Bell made me actually care about her character. More often than not, the characters in horror films are annoying and I actually want to see them perish, but I wanted to see Bell's character make it home alive.


I kept reading the list - which is a pretty fucking rad list mixing up indie and big studio horror alike in a hip, humorous, and fun way - read the entire list here and bask in the awesomeness. Then I got to the Best Directors of 2010 category --

Best Director 2010 - Nominees: Abel Berry (Kodie), Christian Grillo (Booley), Jen Soska & Sylvia Soska (Dead Hooker In A Trunk), Tom Six (The Human Centipede), Adam Mason (Pig), Evan Makrogiannis & Brian Weaver (The Super), Júlíus Kemp (Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre)

The Winner is: Jen & Sylvia Soska (Dead Hooker In A Trunk) - It seems that each category is harder to chose from than the last. Abel Berry and Christian Grillo are, without a doubt, two of the most talented directors out there, and they'll both go on to have huge careers. Berry's Kodie, and Grillo's Booley are easily two of the best films of the past 15 years. The Soskas' work on Dead Hooker In A Trunk is nothing short of amazing. The film is among the best pulp/grindhouse films ever made.


If you didn't see this earlier article catch up here, but this is the second time Scott Ruth, the Horror Examiner, has made me cry. Happy tears.

It is a very humbly and gracious opportunity to be nominated in this category and to win leaves me almost speechless. A very humble thank you to you, sir. There was an incredible team that came together on this film that really truly love making movies more than anything else. They came together and worked there asses off for nothing on an insane idea coined by two first time directors. The class and the support of these fine men and women made this film what it is today.


The horror community who dug the flick and stood behind it - you guys are the reason we can do this and make more films. I can never thank you enough, but making AMERICAN MARY a fucking good film will be the start.

Thank you for this sincere honor and privilege, Scott. Your support has been tremendous. Thank you kindly!

Sylv

No comments:

Post a Comment